Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Avengers: Reignition of Comic Book Genre

It has been quite some time that I have walked out of a comic book genre movie and been as satisfied as I was after seeing The Avengers last week. Like I stated in most of my comic book movie reviews I consider myself a fringe fan of comics, but am sure to check out the majority of their movie counterpart upon release. I could not have told you off of the top of my head who all of The Avengers are or why and how they come to work together, but that did not stop my enjoyment of this spring blockbuster.

Joss Whedon did a spectacular job writing and directing The Avengers. The plot was intense most of the time and allowed me to engage with each one of the characters' personalities. With so many Avengers, I thought that it would be hard to do so, but Whedon was able to interweave each of their stories so that the casual comic book fan (such as myself) would be able to understand the motives behind each of The Avengers attachment to the group as a whole. Comedy was well placed and the struggle between each of the dominant characters was never too much.

It took a while for the heart of the plot to really get going, but this allowed the beginning of the movie to introduce the purpose of The Avengers.   Basically, the government enlists the help of each Avenger in order to fight off what we can't.  Each Avenger holds back at first, but once their emotions are plucked it is game on for the movie.  I really enjoy the genesis of the super heroes; although this was slow it was an integral part of my movie experience.  Once that passed the plot took great turns and the 2.5 hour movie seemed like only an hour. It never bored me nor left me wanting more...I was satisfied upon completion.

From my perspective there was no real main character, but Iron Man played by Robert Downey Jr. seemed to steal the show even though Loki, who is the villain, is the brother of Thor. Speaking of Loki, Tom Hiddleston did a wonderful job in this role and allowed me to see him not as the whining twit he was in Thor, but a demonic figure instead.

The Avengers was a great start to the traditional summer action movies and is one that should not be missed.

Pills gives The Avengers 5/6 Irons.

1 comment: